7.29.2009

Celebrating Storms

For those who live in the NYC area, you were privileged to see the lightning around 7pm on Sunday. Never have I seen such patterns and clouds. It made me think about how storms make most people depressed, but they have always always made me euphoric. They are a sign that chaos is reigning, and all rules are broken in the natural world. My favorite quote in MacBeth is "Let it come down." I wrote my master's thesis on Shakespeare's fools and the Renaissance concept of individuality, and one of the most tangible forms of expression of this very birthing of a perspective is manifested in storms. How can you not love that? So, today I will share with you some photos and some fabulous quotes celebrating storms.






"I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning to sail my ship." Aeschylus

"Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

“The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.” Vincent Van Gogh

“This world to me is like a lasting storm, whirring me from my friends.” Shakespeare

“It is not light that we need, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder. We need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake.” Frederick Douglass

“They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.” Dorothy Parker




No comments:

Post a Comment