8.08.2009

Recollections of Childhood

I spent yesterday at the beach, and couldn't help but remember a tragic stuffed animal story from my childhood (actually, 2). My mother had carried her favorite stuffed animal through her life to the point of my sister being 7 and me being 5. We took said bunny, Squeaker, to the beach, promising to take good care of him (he was so cute and raggedy). We proceeded to bury him in the sand with just the ears peeking out, and went swimming. When we came back, we couldn't find him! My mother still cries when we mention Squeaker. Worst thing I ever did as a child.

Second sad stuffed animal story... my crazy aunt Ginny gave me and my sister each a teddy bear. My sister's was called Apricot Bear and mine was Chocolate Bear. I loved this bear so much it breaks my heart. The only person who could ever find him when I lost him was my sister, so I began calling HER chocolate bear. This bear was played with for so long and so intensely, I wore him down to just a paw. My mother had to sew this paw up again and again until it was just a gross little brown stump, but I still adored him. One day I came home from kindergarten and the maid had thrown out Chocolate Paw thinking it was trash. God how I cried. And still cry. I've gotten to calling my husband Chocolate Paw since he has a knack for finding lost things. I can't let chocolate bear go!
So, in honor of all the brave animals that have been beaten down by childhood, today is about stuffed animals, and the most wonderful I could find on the web.
From the genius Christiane Cegavske:




Ann Wood's sweet birds...




And my much-adored Fadeeva!





Hoorah for the animals!

No comments:

Post a Comment